Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Tawhiti Museum Hawera

This has to be the best Museum ever. If you are contemplating a trip to Taranaki, its a must stop and leave plenty of time to appreciate it.

Although not strictly a family history stop for they have no archives, the curator and presenter has done wax exhibits that will wow you and make you laugh. The scenes he's created are true life ones of families doing ordinary activities in bygone days. It really gives a sense of being there in those days.

Coming from Auckland, turn off at Normanby, its signposted.

I spent an hour and a half here and I was on my own, I think if you could chat it would take even longer. They also have a bush railway, a maritime shop and a cafe. I didn't go on the railway which takes another half an hour or so.

Normally, I would straighten up my photos for you, but this time I'm not going to. Has anyone else got this handicap of eyes which see everything seemingly straight only to find its all on a slant. I can't hang pictures, check a sight line or write a letter with straight lines, but its a fairly consistent slant which is worse in bright light. I don't think there's a cure!

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you that this is the best museum ever. I have been many times and never tire of it, always so much to see.

    ReplyDelete