Friday, August 6, 2010

Using Timelines

This was suggested to me as a subject for this blog. I'm hoping you could comment on your understanding of the use of timelines in research so I and others can learn from you.

There is a family I've been keen on since I began research where I attempted a timeline to get a sense of the family's movements and structure. I had various facts but nothing made sense. The timeline should have helped but maybe I didn't do it right because I'm still in the dark, and time-lines are meant to be illuminating.

There are beautiful images of timelines on google images. I didn't realise they could also be works of art!

Here is a beautiful site demonstrating one woman's history in the Australian Records and the author uses a timeline as part of it.

2 comments:

  1. Timelines work for me - I try and enter every date involving a particular family, especially if they move around a lot. It helps me to see where they were in any given time period. I don't do it for all families, just those where I am having trouble finding them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've used timelines to help date unidentified photos of family members. By establishing the ages and deaths of children and parents at a given time, I could correlate those with who I saw in photos.

    ReplyDelete