Saturday, August 7, 2010

History of Clubs, Societies etc

I can find no support at the present for clubs and societies to preserve their histories. I asked Archives New Zealand who told me they only deal with government records. I asked the Auckland Museum who told me they have a few but don't seek them generally. So I'm at a bit of a loss.

It seems to be up to the present members of an organisation to try to preserve their history. Marist put a book out last year and its pretty good one. However, if you wanted a copy, I'm not sure where you might buy one. Marist is a fairly wealthy club. Books like these often seem to be published in short runs and if they are lucky, they run out of them.

I was talking to a man who belonged to an old Auckland yachting club a few years ago, he had all the old history of the club in his basement and wasn't eager to even look through it for me, he'd put it in the 'too hard' basket.

And then there is the cost which to many organisations who have falling membership, financing a publication would be beyond them even if they had a keen person to write it up.

It's a shame because growing up the 50's I belonged to an Athletics club which galvanised the whole neighbourhood, it was the place to be when the alternative entertainment were card nights at the neighbours. I'd love to see the records of these types of organisations preserved.

1 comment:

  1. Try Auckland City Library . . .

    ReplyDelete