Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Public or Private?

Is the history of your family for the public eye? Or do you prefer to keep it private?  It depends strictly on how you feel about it - there is no right or wrong, as long as you adhere to the policy most commercial websites follow that block the publication of information on the living or leave it out entirely.

I personally prefer the public aspect because I can't see the use of looking up the history of the family and then keeping it to myself or close family. Mind you, I do feel bad about preventing other's from enjoying doing the research when perhaps I could just erase it from my hard drive and let them do it again. It's such fun at times.

Is it snooping? Some think so. What if you found your grandfather doing time for crimes in his youth? And if he was long gone, would you tell the world?  In other words, do you sanitize your findings when publishing? I don't because, it tells me (and maybe others) a little more about him - that he was brash enough or bored enough to rebel. But then he became the husband/father/grandfather that we knew, kind and upright. It helps me put in perspective the experience of opening the door at 2am to a policeman asking where my offspring is.  It's not the end of the world and I can still go on believing in and supporting the youngster.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment