Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Auckland Museum Library

My first visit to the Auckland Museum Library happened about 20 years ago. I found it in an upstairs room filled with unbelievable treasure for browsing through. I came across the original passenger lists for the Matoaka and Berar Oct 1873 voyages on microfilm which I transcribed and still have on my hard-drive.

Since then, a lot has changed. The museum upgraded the building including the library facility and although you can still peruse books on shelves, the true treasures are hidden away for safe-keeping. Access is via their ordering system and like all major repositories now, you leave bags and coats in a locker.

Finding the library is not straightforward, you can access it from the ground-floor atrium after asking an assistant for a swipe card to use in the lifts.

The good news is that their online catalogue can be accessed at home.

The reading room and special collections are open Monday to Friday 1pm to 5pm and on Saturday 10am to 5pm.

More after my next visit where I will dig out a treasure for examination.

1 comment:

  1. Another good source of information is the Auckland War Memorial Museum's Cenotaph database, to which I have made several contributions, see:
    http://www.aucklandmuseum.com/130/cenotaph-database

    This contains a biographical database of New Zealanders who have died in the 19th century, from the New Zealand Wars and South Africa, through the First and Second World Wars to Korea, Malaya and Vietnam.

    ReplyDelete